It is truly fascinating to be a part of the world which changes at every moment and working towards it.
As we move forward with this, I’ll try to make things a tad bit more clear to get you ready with everything you need to know to kickstart your career in Data Science.
Companies are ready to hold onto data and derive insights from them because of the technological advancements we have developed over the years.
There are many job opportunities available in India, infact after US, India is the second-highest country to recruit employees in the field of data.
Only if you have the required skillsets and are ready to keep yourself updated with the ever-changing technology, your career in Data Science is expected to keep growing exponentially.
What is Data Science?
Sounds like a question too frequently asked and everyone running after?
Data Science is a field which uses methods such as statistical analysis, various algorithms and techniques to extract information and knowledge from many structured and unstructured data.
It is the study of data with the goal to discover hidden patterns from raw data.
What are the different roles in data science?
- Data Scientist
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
What are the main responsibilities of Data Scientists?
Basically, the responsibility of Data Scientists is collecting big amounts of structured as well as unstructured data via data mining and transforming them to actionable insights.
They are able to achieve it via following these procedures-
- Finding the data-driven solutions that holds the most appropriate potential to drive the growth of companies.
- Using techniques like text analytics, regression, clustering, machine learning, and deep learning to analyse data, thereby exploring hidden patterns and trends that comes with the data.
- Developing a data-driven approach to solving complex business problems to help increase the overall growth of the business.
- Communicating and storytelling all the observations and findings to the company stakeholders via data visualisation which are beneficial for the rise in company’s turnover.
- Cleansing and wrangling data to optimise data accuracy and efficiency.
What are the main responsibilities of the Data Engineer?
- Derive, integrate, and cleanse data collected from multiple sources whether sites or databases.
- Preparing data for manipulation and predictive/prescriptive statistical modelling by Data Scientists.
- Develop the necessary infrastructure base for effective extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) of data from different sources using SQL, AWS, and other Big Data technologies.
- Deployment of analytics programs, machine learning algorithms, and statistical techniques to build data pipelines used in the development of the machine learning model.
- Assemble complex and messy data sets to deliver to the functional and non-functional business requirements of the organisations.
- Identify and develop new improved ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality productions.
- Develop, construct, test, and maintain data architectures for smooth process of the whole analysis.
What are the main responsibilities of the Data Analyst?
- To study, perform analysis and wrangle business data to identify correlations and patterns to discover valuable data points.
- To work with customer-driven algorithm models and personalize them to fit individual customer requirements.
- To develop and deploy custom models to uncover answers to business matters such as marketing strategies and their performance, customer taste, and preference patterns, future predictions etc.
- To track and trace data from multiple systems to solve particular business problems.
- To write SQL queries to extract data from the data warehouse/databases and to identify the answers to complex business requirements.
- To apply statistical analysis techniques to surevey consumer data research and analytics.
What are the required skills set for getting into data science?
- Knowledge of algorithms, statistics, mathematics and machine learning.
- Programming languages such as Python,R, SQL, Java, SAS, and Hive.
- Wherein Python is being given an edge for being a general programming language over R which is more of a statistical language.
- Business requirements understanding and correct aptitude and framework to ask right questions and find answers in the occupied data.
- Communication skills are more or less very essential in order to communicate and deliver the results effectively to the rest of the people working with you.
What does a data scientist do at big firms like Amazon, Netflix, Flipkart etc.?
Data Scientists are the link between the business and technical sides of the companies.
One of the few examples of a model at flipkart goes like, you’ll have to predict whether the customers at your service will pay you back or come again to buy something if you give them credits on their previous purchases.
You will be asked to build a model with your team onto which you’ll be applying various methods such as A/B testing, Statistical Analysis, Data Preprocessing, Machine Learning Model Creation etc.
Another few examples of projects will include topics like Recommendation systems, Sales forecasting, User Address Clustering, A/B experimentation framework and Analytics etc.
There will always be something new to learn in such a vast domain, not knowing it all is not a worry. Knowing the very basics is.
What are the salary packages of people working with data?
The fascinating salary packages is one of the main reasons also why people tend to shift their careers towards data science, but if data, mathematics doesn’t drive you , even the biggest figure of packages won’t either.
Data Scientist salary in India can be affected by multiple factors. Let’s see some main salary affecting factors:
A bunch of companies offering various packages of people working in this domain with some experience
The packages mainly depend on the skills and the experience that one holds. It grows exponentially as the learnings and experiences grow.
Avg Salary for entry-level for Data Scientists
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Data Scientists?
Avg Salary for entry-level for Data Engineer
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Data Scientists?
What is the pay by Experience Level for Data Analyst?
The salaries for 4 – 6 years of experienced remain stable at 6-9 Lakhs.
For the Senior Data Analyst having substantial experience of 12 or more years has witnessed a sharp 20% rise in their salaries last year.
75% of the analytics professionals in India are under the salary bracket of 0 – 6 Lakhs at their entry-level, but since there has been a rise in the number of freshers in Data Analysis in India, this is an excellent indication for maturing the industry.
The opportunities for Analysts and Data Scientists are currently at their peak in India.
You are likely to receive an annual bump of around 10-15% in your salary.
This will further increase with an increase in the years of work experience and the number of skills you’ve mastered.
Keep learning and that’s the only way you can move forward!